New Year Resolutions
Another festive season has come and gone. This is the time of the year when most people are desperate to lose the few kilos that they’ve gained from overindulging over the holidays. It’s also the time for New Years
resolutions. No prizes for guessing what is usually high up on most people’s lists….
Yes.. you guessed correctly – most people want to lose weight.
This year, instead of jumping head first into the first fad diet you see, why not step back and learn a little about nutrition and food. Find someone who understands food and dieting to help you understand the benefits of food and the harm too. That way food can be your friend rather than your enemy and you can win the war against over eating. Knowledge is power.
Let’s start today. Here are some diet and nutrition facts that are as interesting as they are fascinating.
1. 100% of people who go on a diet WILL lose weight. 95% of them will gain weight again. 5% ONLY will maintain their lost weight.
2. A 600ml bottle of Coke has more sugar as a large Cinnabon.
3. Drying fruit depletes them of 30 to 80% of their anti oxidants and nutrients.
4. Grain fed beef contains 2 to 5x more omega 3 than grass fed beef
5. A 2010 study published in the International Journal of food Microbiology found that 48% of fountain soda drinks contained faecal bacteria.
6. Egg whites contain more tryptophan than turkey on a calorie per calorie basis. Tryptophan is an amino acid that increases the bodies serotonin levels. Serotonin is the hormone that elevates mood.
7. Protein is highly thermogenic. When it is consumed the body burns about 35% of its calories during digestion alone. Carbohydrates and fat burn a mere 5 to 15% .
8. One cup of air popped popcorn has more anti-oxidants than an average fruit or vegetable
9. Aspartame and MSG- chemicals found in many processed foods- are excitotoxins, which cause neurons in the brain to excite themselves to death. Evidence also suggests that they promote cancer growth.
10. 30g of flaxseed oil packs nearly 15000 mg of heart healthy omega 3 fatty acids. 30g of flaxseed oil has 250 calories which is the same as 5 apples.
11. Soda intake leaches calcium from bones, which contributes to lower bone mineral density and the development of osteoporosis. It also destroys tooth enamel.
12. Garlic may help prevent against various types of stomach, GI, and colorectal cancers.
13. Pecans and walnuts have more antioxidants than blueberries, cranberries, blackberries and currants.
Here’s to a lighter, more nutritionally educated you in 2018.